Monday, September 30, 2013

Snow Dancing in September??

I am out in the village some afternoon last week when it starts to snow—those big wet flakes that turn to slush as they hit the ground and make great snowballs for chucking at your friends. I smile. Who doesn’t like the first snow? A lady comes outside of a shop near the international bridge and starts spinning in lazy circles. She is waving her hands around and screaming in delight. My smile slips.

For the love of God, woman, it is too early for this kind of behavior.

Too early in the season, I mean.

Here’s the thing my snow freak friends: I know you want your powder already, but we could still have a solid month of good hiking left. We’re forward people thinking up here, and I like that, but let’s take a moment and enjoy the season we are STILL IN. The first day of autumn was only a week ago and it’s going to stay around until November 22***. I am going to put off snow dancing until then. In the meantime, why don’t we grab a sweater, take a walk in the backyard and watch what happens when the gold of the aspens meets the gold of the sun going down behind the hills? It’s very nice, and if you post a picture of it on Facebook all your friends will be jealous.

If you’re thinking of starting snow rituals already, just stop. You are only pissing off the gods, who probably don’t like greedy ski bums. We don’t need snow for another 6 weeks, all right? Petition them at THAT point, otherwise we might end up with eight feet in October and nothing more until February.

But, don’t worry, this will be my third winter here, and the past two years were nothing but lame shortcomings compared to seasons past…I’m thinking that means the odds are it’s gonna dump. 
  
***Actually, winter starts December 21, however, the resort opens on November 22, so I'll give you the earlier date on that technicality


No comments:

Post a Comment