Tuesday, December 4, 2012

On The Catwalk

On the Catwalk


The mountain opened more than two weeks ago and I have yet to ski. I'm a touch reticent in the poor starting conditions because last time I skiid in crappy snow, I fell off the mountain while following a terribly advanced and technical line, and tumbled into a steep ravine with my life flashing before my eyes. It was a close call but I was fortunate to come away with only three broken ribs.

Ok, admission:

I didn't fall off the mountain, I fell off a catwalk.* And I didn't tumble into a steep ravine because about ten feet off the catwalk, my fall was broken by a very nice rock and friendly tree. I did fracture three ribs.

It hurt like, a lot, and I spent the entire night at work going to the bathroom every hour to make sure I was not pissing blood and when a week later it still hurt, I went to the doctor and he says, “Golly gee, you've got some breaks in there, congratulations, and take it easy for the rest of the season,” along with handing me a bill for three-hundred dollars.
 

Awesome.

So in an effort to save some pain for my body, my wallet and my pride, I'm waiting for some actual snow (the kind that doesn't fall out of a snow gun), so that the conditions are a little more conducive to safe skiing and so that the chances of me tripping over a rock/dude bro, crashing into a tree/dude bro, and breaking three more ribs, decreases just a little more.

Alise says I'm wrong. She says, “You should really ski as much as you can now, so when there is snow you'll be good enough to just enjoy it.”
 

Faulty Logic.

The odds
of me becoming a good skiier, even if I hit the ribbon of death every morning for the the next month: slim to none.

Today I'm going to yoga. No one EVER gets hurt in that sport.**




*Let me just say in my defense that the said catwalk (Sundown), was right after I made it down Seldom, and let me also say that in this particular run I only fell down twice and lost my skiis once. At this point I am quite proud of myself and let my guard down on my happy way to chair 5 when a patch of slush jumps out a bites me, and there I am, making an airbag out of a rock and besties with a pine tree.

**Q: what gets yogis panties all up in twist?? A: this article
  How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body


2 comments: